Wednesday, December 1, 2010

All I can do is laugh at myself for this one....

In my office, we sometimes take care of the switchboard calls, so we talk to everyone from sales people to random, confused tourists. On the note of random confused folks, there is typically at least one call a day from some one who says(in a very baffled tone, I might add) "What?! I really can't go to Old Faithful now(last week in November, for example)" and they are just heartbroken and confused as to why a National Park would every close. Well, I was that confused tourist for a day, when we decided to drive all the way to Mesa Verde National Park without checking first to make sure that the park at 8000 feet in the Rocky Mountains was open the last weekend in November. So, all I got of Mesa Verde was the sign.

Bryan was really excited for Canyonlands and Arches, and the drive from Cortez, CO to Canyonlands was do-able that night, so back to Utah we go!

The road into the Needles District of Canyonlands is a good haul by itself, so made it camp when it was already pretty late. We left the headlights on while we set up camp, and conveniently forgot to make sure that Martha was still alive! Yep, on dead car battery. Which is funny, because the last time I was in this part of Canyonlands(back in 04, I think...), my alternator went out in the VC parking lot. I am apparently not meant to hang out here!

It was easily the warmest night(plus we'd gone wuss by this point, and had picked up an air mattress at Wal-Mart!) and a great 40 degree morning. Unfortunately, a ranger came by and let everyone know about a storm coming in, and suggested we leave(she also found someone to jump the car!!). We decided to take her advice and head to Moab for the night. We headed out pretty early, as I was thinking we would stay a little hostel I've been to there, and we were slightly worried about it filling if too many other people had the same idea!

Turns out we had no problem getting into the hostel....a private room with a queen bed and heat for all of $26.00! Gotta love the Lazy Lizard in Moab :o) It was our first night in a real town in a few days, so we found the closest laundrymat and got a nice pile of clean clothes to put on after the showers that were coming up next. Once we were clean, clothes and selves, we fought the warmth coma and decided to indulge in being in town by going to watch football. As it rained outside all night, we were sure happy to have decided to stay in town(though Bryan wasn't very happy with the football results....)

No comments:

Post a Comment